03 June, 2009

country cookin’

I just adore being back in blogland!
And, what’s more, I love being back home in the South.

I missed all that good Southern cookin’. Really, how could I have left you, dear sweet Georgia? I mean, the fried chicken, fresh veggies, peach cobbler….

wait, hold up, Emily!
You don’t even like peaches!

Yep yep, it is a bit contradictory, me being from Georgia and all, but when I was little, I hated peaches. Those soft, fuzzy, too sweet, icky fruits were the bane of my existence. If given a peach, I would have thrown it as far away as possible and then pulled a Fiona from Burn Notice (my new addiction) and blown it up.

Today is the day I’ve overcome that dislike with these babies

005Honey Thyme Grilled Peaches!!!
2 halved peaches
1/3 cup of honey
4 sprigs of thyme
1] Grill halved peaches, skin side up, for 3-5 minutes.
2] Mix honey and thyme leaves together, before glazing the grilled peaches.
3] Grill peaches for 5-10 minutes, skin side up.
4] Enjoy! :)

004

These peaches were gooood! I was watching Emeril today and he did a little something like this, but I toned it down and left out a few things. I was really skeptical of the honey-thyme mixture, but it really turned out great! I would definitely recommend this to anyone. If you want them to be the absolute best, be sure to use soft, juicy peaches, rather than the hard, first of the season ones.

And since the grill was fired up…

001some zucchini to go along with the peaches.

Am I the only one that is obsessed with grilled veggies? They just seem tastier than if you sauté or boil them.

larabar_LogoOh, I bet everybody has heard about the new Larabar flavors coming out soon. Just so you know, the first German Chocolate Cake one to hit the shelves is mine! 
Not only do I enjoy eating Larabars, turns out I also enjoy reading comics about them! After reading this, I about died laughing. The scary part though? I’ve exhibited a few of these signs! :o Check it out and see if you do too.

Going along with my Southern theme, dinner tonight was too yummy. I warn you though- don’t get grossed out! It’s perfectly normal to eat this in Georgia and pretty much anywhere in the Southeast.

006 grilled deer meat (venison, if you will) and parsley potatoes with sautéed Vidalia onions and squash plus some green beans.

I believe the Holy Spirit visited me in this meal.

Come to think of it, I really do miss mass. As much as I complain about having to go, ohhh, three, four times a week, it’s a great time to gather my thoughts and realize what’s important in my life. One Sunday morning mass made me decide to start recovery and leave behind ED. Every mass after that kept me from turning back. I’m not Catholic (I’m not very religious either, but I’m no aethiest, believe me!) yet that quiet hour in church helped keep me in line. I wish there was a Catholic church nearby, but there isn’t. Maybe just some quiet time every now and then will work?

I’m about to hit the sack, so good night. :) Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grilled veggies are fab!

Glad you're enjoying your time back home lovey!

Me time is super important, I think. Definitely gotta make some time for it this summer!

Squill said...

:D Grilled peaches! Yuuumm! I'm so glad you're relaxing now that you're home :)

What you said about mass is interesting-- so many of my friends credit their turning away from ED to religion. I think the sense of guidance really helps a lot of people... hmmm.

tinyirishdancer said...

Oh Emilaaaay, my little Georgia peach. =D

I cannot believe you used to not like peaches! Although I'm glad you've finally come to see the light.
Peaches = orgasmical. And that's all there is to it. ;]

Mhmm. Though grilled veggies and Larabars are pretty high up there, too...

Anywho. I absolutely agree - churches can be such peaceful, meditative places. I don't have one by me, either, unfortunately. But quiet time is always a good substitute.

Well, I'm off to beddybyetime, too.
Sweet dreams, chica! I'm glad you had such a lovely, yummyful day!
<3<3

Anonymous said...

hey! you don't need to go to church to get in touch with God..He's already with you! Just talk to Him and He'll be more than delighted to speak to you!
anyway, glad you're back! I was wondering where you've flown off to, lol!
ok, I don't really like peaches either, except the white peaches. but grilled peaches? yummm...
and you watch emeril! I love that little "BAM" man!