05 June, 2009

ring ring ring, banana phone!

I’m so glad that my summer style was so well liked! I hope to see some of your styles too. :)

Today, I was in a very creative mood, which translates into recipe experimenting. Combine that with my interest in Greek food and the result?

Dolmathes!

But with a really odd twist. I don’t have access to grape leaves (they’re $10 for a jar in the store!) so I turned to the only alternative I could think of.muscadines_2_dt2mMuscadine leaves, fresh of the vine!

The leaves are much smaller than the grape ones but they worked just as well… that is, after I blanched them, froze them, speedily pickled them, steamed them, and then finally doused them in olive oil for thirty minutes. They were way too starchy and bitter, but the combined effort seemed to finally turn them into the delicious wrapping for my dolmathes. I’m sure that if you have more patience than I did, you’ll only need to use one of those methods. Here’s the muscadine-version, in case you too are short of grape leaves:

6 muscadine leaves (the biggest you can find; prepare by one of these ways)
1/2 cup of short-grain white rice
1 tablespoon of feta cheese
1/4 cup of chopped sautéed onions
olive oil
salt
makes 6 “dolmathes”  (dolmas or whatever you call them!)
1) Once you prepared the muscadine leaves, lay them out on a flat surface.
2) Mix the rice, cheese, onions, a little salt, and a spoonful of olive oil together.
3) Place a small amount of the mixture on the middle of the leaf. Take the top and bottom part of the leaf and place them together. Then slowly roll the leaf until it forms the familiar dolmathe shape.
4) Skewer about three of your “dolmathes” on a toothpick and place in a cup or bowl. Pour enough olive oil into the container so it covers the dolmathes and sprinkle in some salt. Let them soak for about ten to fifteen minutes.
5) After soaking, remove them and dab off any excess olive oil. Enjoy! :)

Here’s the finished product with my signature sweet potato side. :)

006 007 
Even though it took my a little while to get the right flavor and texture for the muscadine leaves so they were like grape leave, I really enjoyed them. I don’t know how much time you girls have, but if you’re bored one day, try this out. I hope muscadine leaves are easy for you to find!

Another thing I came up with today that you’ll probably more interested in?
The Perfect Banana Ice Cream Smoothie!

005 1 banana
4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
5 ice cubes
1/2 cup of milk
a dash of cinnamon
makes 2-3 servings

1) Blend it up! It’s delicious and filling so enjoy!

I really feel like I accomplished a lot today. I woke up a little earlier and made pancakes!

001

buttermilk pancakes with fruit and honey yogurt.

002

I’m not really a breakfast person. It’s not ED related or anything but I just never liked breakfast, unless grits count, but even then. This changed my mind. Pancakes are so yummy! :)

I spent a lot of time picking in the garden today.  There were so many zucchini and beans, ready for pickin’! It was mad cloudy today so it wasn’t hot or anything, but, boy, that bending really tuckers a girl out! My eyelids are closing as we speak… or as I type and you read! :) I was so exhilarated while I was picking today though. I had this warm, happy feeling inside!

But, before I go to sleep, I want ya’ll to remember this:
Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. - Benjamin Franklin

Happiness depends upon ourselves. – Aristotle

Keep being strong! Have a great night/day. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't like breakfast? Whaaa?

Everything looks delicious girly!

tinyirishdancer said...

Mhmm. I hope you don't mind that I just drooled all over your blog..

=D

You must come over and cook for me, woman! I looooove Greek food. And smoothies. And pancakes zomfg!

Although it makes you sad that you're not really a brekkie person. Hopefully my next postie will change your mind. ;]

Have a lovely day, m'dear. Take care!
<3<3

Anonymous said...

Hm. Maybe we can't be friends anymore. You don't like breakfast?!?!?

Okay, I changed my mind. We can be friends because I lurvvv Greek food too! And banana smoothies!

Love the quotes at the end of the post. The B. Franklin one is one of my all time favorite quotes! Much love

Baylee♥ said...

I am freakin jealous of your creativity in recipes. SOOO amazing. seriously, i rarely eat anything that doesnt come out of a package. pathetic, i know.

sorry for being MIA girlie! im back for good! LOOOVE you!